Click here to see a time lapse 5-Element Shiatsu treatment. This video has a client receiving shiatsu on a mat from a shiatsu practitioner on the top of a mountain.
Shiatsu, a form of Japanese bodywork based on traditional Chinese medicine, is given on a soft mat, fully clothed.
Shiatsu techniques include:
- Massages with fingers, thumbs, feet, elbows, and palms
- Assisted stretching
- Joint manipulation and mobilization
Shiatsu benefits include:
- Supports and nourishes life-force
- Enhances sensitivity and self awareness
- Releases tension
The aim of shiatsu is to promote the processes of self-healing and personal growth through balancing the circulation of the body’s energy through the meridians system.
Learning Activity: Exploring Shiatsu
Define (or explain) shiatsu and identify how it might help your self care
- Read about shiatsu and treatments to help you understand the basics of shiatsu.
- Read FAQ’s about Asian bodywork therapy (ABT) treatments
- Next, Freewrite for 5-10 minutes using this prompt:
- Shiatsu is______________________ and it can help me by_______________________. Write as many versions of this sentence as you would like.
Now you know a little bit about shiatsu. So, you may be wondering: “What does the 5-elements have to do with a shiatsu treatment?”
Answer: a 5-element shiatsu practitioner uses the 5-elements and their associated meridians during every shiatsu session in order to balance excess and deficient energy in your body.